|Flag Name(s)||[Flag Of Vanuatu]|
|Color and Design|
A horizontal bicolor of red and green with the black isosceles triangle based on the hoist side bearing the golden boar's tusk encircling two crossed namele cycad fronds in the center and the golden pall, a thin yellow narrow horizontal stripe that splits in the shape of the horizontal Y, centered over the partition lines and was edged in black against the red and the green bands while the two points of the Y faces on each corner and encloses the triangle on the hoist-side.
|Meaning & Symbolism||The green band represents the richness of the islands, the red symbolises blood which unites humanity as humans, and the black color represents the ni-Vanuatu people. The yellow Y-shape represents the shape of Vanuatu islands on the map and the light of the gospel going through the pattern of the islands in the Pacific Ocean, majority follows Christianity. The emblem in the black is a boar's tusk — the symbol of customs and tradition but also prosperity. Its worn as a pendant on the islands, along with two leaves of the local namele tree. These leaves are supposed to be a token of peace, and their 39 leaflets represent the original 39 members of the Parliament of Vanuatu.|
|Description and Brief History|
The flag of Vanuatu consists of two horizontal of red and green with a black triangle along the hoist that extends to divide the two bands. The triangle has a yellow border and contains a yellow emblem of two crossed ferns surrounded by curling tusk.
The flag was adopted on 18 February 1980. In 1977 a flag of almost the same colours and symbolism as the future national flag was designed by local artist Kalontas Malon and adopted by the Vanua'aku Pati. When the party led the New Hebrides to independence as Vanuatu in 1980, the colours of the party flag (red, green, black and yellow) were chosen to be the basis for the national flag on Independence Day, 30 July 1980. A parliamentary committee chose the final design based on submissions from local artists.
The first Vanuatu flag was that of the Anglo-French Joint Naval Commission, which governed the islands together as a neutral territory. The flag was used from 1887-1906, when it was replaced by a British colonial flag. It followed the same pattern as other colonial flags, which a blue field that displayed the Union Jack in the canton and the colonial seal along the fly. The seal was a white disc with a Tudor crown inside it and the colony's name written around the crown. The colonial flag changed in 1953, when the Tudor crown was replaced with St. Edward's Crown. Vanuatu used different flags when it competed in international sporting events. These flags emphasized the nation's links to both Britain and France. Vanuatu used such flags at the South Pacific Games of 1963 and 1966, although it used slightly different versions of the flag at each event. Vanuatu became independent of all colonial powers and adopted a new flag in 1980. The flag has not changed since it was first adopted as a symbol of the new nation and remains popular to this day.
boar tusk, tusk, pall, y shaped, diagonal, plants, trees, leaves of namele tree, triangle on hoist, triangles, christianity, religion boar tusk,tusk,pall,y shaped,diagonal,plants,trees,leaves of namele tree,triangle on hoist,triangles,christianity,religion